Postmasters dedicate their service to the community | New
Having a post office was vital for any community, no matter how small. Some cards would not recognize the existence of a community if it did not have a post office.
The Postmaster was the go-to person for information, complaints and maintaining mail in and out of this post office to suit the government and its clients / patrons.
Nine men were appointed postmaster of El Campo between 1890 and 1936. Christian Bruns was appointed on March 17, 1890. Land agent for Weimar Land Co., he resigned as more and more people arrived and more of land is sold.
Eckhard Rauch was appointed on July 26, 1890 (the first registrar was John Engholm). August Natho replaced Rauch on January 25, 1892.
Christian Bruns returned on December 19, 1893 until December 1, 1896, when Julius R. Otell (owner of a hardware store) was named.
Appointed December 14, 1899, Carl E. Ericson was reappointed on January 17, 1904 and once again on April 28, 1908. EL Correll took office on May 22, 1913 (he was mayor in 1906) and was reappointed. duties Jan 24, 1918.
Edwin C. Hill [mayor 1918, 1919] was appointed August 26, 1922 and declared February 7, 1927 and February 20, 1931. Hill retired in February 1936 after 14 years, at the age of 63. He died seven months later.
As today, those interested in a job in the public service must pass a public service examination. The candidates with the highest score are the most eligible for nomination; military service and other experiences may add to the score.
This civil service review lists openings for the postmaster and deputy clerk of El Campo the notice also provided for an opening for a replacement lighthouse keeper – the applicant must be able to swim. Eleven people took the exam, eight of whom were men – three were women. Most were in their twenties, some not living in County Wharton. Three male candidates were selected for fingerprinting.
Addison Lysander Lincecum (mayor 1932-33) was appointed postmaster on February 14, 1936. Lincecum had served as deputy postmaster during Correll’s tenure.
If El Campo decided to erect a statue to a man who had a major impact on El Campo, it would be Lincecum who has been a doctor, surgeon, postmaster, mayor and KULP radio personality – all while living in the county. from Wharton.
Lincecum (born April 8, 1874; died December 6, 1965) was of Scottish descent. During his life there were six wars; two American presidents assassinated; the invention of the airplane and the automobile; the Dust Bowl, the Great Depression, the Holocaust, Pearl Harbor and the Civil Rights Movement.
To pay for medical lessons in Galveston, Lincecum worked nights as a train engineer. A member of the first batch of Baylor University in 1903, he joined the Rough Riders under Teddy Roosevelt in Cuba during the Spanish-American War; in 1914 he was deputy health officer in the state health department and was appointed by Governor “Pa” Ferguson to the post of Commissioner for Bubonic Plague.
In 1917, Lincecum joined the Texas Rangers in search of Pancho Villa. In 1911 he was vice president of the Texas Medical Association. In 1917, during World War I, Lincecum was posted to the overseas medical department of the 111th Combat Engineers.
He established Wharton County’s first hospital with Drs. TL and GL Davidson; was mayor of El Campo 1932-33; postmaster of the El Campo post office from February 1936 to October 1948; director of Nightingale Hospital at 79. He served 3.5 years before retiring.
Lincecum joined the staff at KULP radio station for their entertaining “Roving Reporter” program, was a good violin player, spoke multiple languages, liked a good joke, and was a man for all seasons.
Lincecum’s many experiences and talents enabled him to understand the need for a permanent postal service site to accommodate the space needed by the growing population of El Campo.
Below is partial content of a letter written by Postmaster Lincecum describing the current postal space to secure a government building to house the El Campo post office.
Current post office from 1936: space 22 feet wide by 86 feet long; rent of $ 1,000 per year. The owner provides a dresser with toilet in an unventilated room (no window) to serve both men and women. Heated by a natural gas heater emitting foul odors which contribute to the respiratory irregularities of workers and customers, few electric lights, windows do not provide enough additional lighting, all poor quality lobby furniture provided by the building owner, the front and back doors do not have secure locks to deter entry. Dust and smoke from the yard is a problem, grain dust from the rice mill and cotton dust from the gin entering through the unshielded windows.
Letter signed by: AL Lincecum Postmaster & Walter W Harris Assistant PM.
These observations are what his experience as a doctor would consider a dangerous job. Perhaps other postmasters saw them as what was expected in old, unbuilt buildings to serve as a post office.
Lincecum was 62 years old; old enough to retire but ready to bring in a clean, well-designed building to provide El Campo with efficient service and a healthy workplace for postal workers.
JJ Mansfield (1861-1947), Lincecum’s close friend who played a key role in the fundraising, also wore many hats: lawyer, Columbus mayor, county judge, county attorney, editor of the Columbus newspaper and was elected to the 9th Congressional District of Texas in 1916. -1947.
The Mansfield Dam at Lake Travis is named after him. At 75, his 31 years as a congressman gave Mansfield the power to see his constituents served.
– The above story is Part Two of the El Campo Post Office Story, written by Wharton County Historian Merle R. Hudgins. The multi-part series was originally scheduled to take place once a month in the El Campo Leader-News, but Hudgins found enough material to expand the series. Look for it on the first and third Saturdays.