Launch of a competition to find the Irish barista of the year
Have you spent the last year using your time at home to perfect the perfect coffee? Do you know your americano from your flat white, and your cappuccino from your mocha, your double shot from your latte art? If so, this contest is definitely for you!
A recent survey by Currys showed 84% of people have been drinking more coffee since the lockdown began, with 77% saying they’ve cut back on take-out coffee and are now making it at home!
37% of people have experimented with the art of latte at home and 36% have experimented with different flavors or syrups.
Cappuccino came out on top (29%) as the favorite coffee to brew at home, followed by Black Coffee / Americano (28%), Latté (17%), White Coffee (12%), Flat White (6 %), Mocha (4%) and Espresso (4%). 57 percent of people take their coffee in the morning to wake up, and less than 1 percent drink it at dinner time. 81 percent of people drink their coffee before 11 a.m.
With that in mind, Currys PC World, in association with Sage Appliances, today announced the launch of its Home Barista of the Year competition, in search of Ireland’s best self-taught Home Barista!
This competition aims to find the Home Barista in Ireland who can show their passion for making their own coffee. Currys PC World and Sage want you to tell them how you make the perfect coffee at home. Do you think your skills make you the #HomeBaristaOfTheYear?
How to enter
Submit your videos or photos to Instagram (Instagram account must be on a public setting, otherwise your hashtag entry will not be captured) using the hashtag #HomeBaristaoftheYear, for a chance to win the ultimate home brewing facility with Sage® coffee machines, Currys PC World Coupons and annual coffee subscriptions worth over € 10,000 up for grabs. Registration closes Thursday, September 30.
When you walk in, which bean, milk, or style of coffee is right for you, the judges just want to hear about your favorite coffee drink. Any level of ability and skill can come in, it’s your personality the judges want to see. It’s not just about the beauty of the finished coffee, it’s more about your passion for making the product!
- 1st place: Barista Touch ™ Black Inox worth € 1199 plus € 1.5K in Currys PC World vouchers
- Finalist (X2): Barista Pro ™ (value € 789) plus € 1,000 in Currys PC World vouchers
- Latte Art winner: the Bambino ™ Plus (value € 489) plus € 500 Currys PC World Vouchers
- Blooper winner: the Bambino ™ Plus (value € 489) plus € 500 Currys PC World Vouchers
Currys PC World will also be offering a one-year Velo Coffee membership for each winner. If the contest winner already has a Sage machine, Currys PC World will exchange or upgrade its machine with vouchers.
The investigation also revealed
- 60 percent of people have bought or upgraded their coffee machine since the lockdown, with the most popular being a pod machine (39 percent), followed by Bean to Cup (31 percent), the rest were varied
- 74% of people drink their coffee at home from a regular cup, 22% drink from a KeepCup or similar, and 4% chose “other”
- 76 percent of people have a favorite brand of coffee
- 65 percent of people drink coffee a few times a day, 25 percent drink it once a day, 8 percent drink it a few times a week, and 2 percent rarely
- The preferred milks are:
- Low Fat Dairy Products – 39 percent
- Whole Dairy Products – 28 percent
- Oats – 13 percent
- No milk – 10 percent
- Coconut – 6 percent
- Almond – 4 percent
- When asked which of the following celebrities they would like to have coffee made for them at home, the results were as follows:
- Amy Huberman – 32 percent
- Kellie Harrington – 15 percent
- Sinead O’Connor – 12 percent
- Suzanne Jackson – 12 percent
- Marty Morrissey – 10 percent
- Jason Byrne – 8 percent
- Vogue Williams – 6 percent
- Joe Duffy – 5 percent